Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Thanksgiving


Ruth's visit included Thanksgiving. Since it's an American holiday, she wanted to make sure she got all the traditions correct. I said to her "Now Ruth, it's traditional for the guest at dinner to bring the host an elaborate and expensive gift, but it's considered rude for the host to give the guest any gifts. It's also considered very rude for the host to do any cooking on the day of Thanksgiving".

No, it actually happened like this: I sent her a link to a kids website that described Thanksgiving traditions and she must have really taken the task of understanding our culture to heart because when we had started getting ready for dinner she was first to get out the construction paper and start making hand-turkeys and pilgrim hats. Unfortunately we didn't have any TV to watch and we skipped the naps, and we didn't have an actual turkey: only a Tofu-rkey. I guess you could say her experience was only marginally-traditional, unless the only traditions that count are the ones that have people who like each other eating a dinner together. In that case, we were right on the money.



She didn't want to wear it, but we made her.
Just like old times.
This took Ruth 2 hours to make. It was exhausting for her, but totally worth the effort. His name is Kenton and he lives on my kitchen table.
Granite had a feast too.
Ruth was extremely troubled by this cranberry sauce...
Carving the Tofu-rkey.
Yummmm! No bones!

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

it did not take me 2 hours to make!! he was/is the most colourful turkey in the STATE!

I had a really great Thanksgiving, thanks to my hosts!! I did have to do some cooking though, which I enjoyed of course! But I just loved being in a pinnie again!

The cranberry sauce was troubling for me. So were the crisps and cheese in a jar that was mentioned. Oh and not to forget the marshmellows on the veg! I still enjoyed it though. Soak in the culture!

Ruthie said...

hang on a minute. that picture of us both in the kitchen. i was a guest then. where is your guest smile?!! :-P

Bunny said...

are those the aprons from the Chalet? I love them. You both look so cute in them. I am also troubled by the cranberry sauce.