Monday, August 24, 2009

Its the Girl Scout year...

We've started the Girl Scout year. Right now, I've got about 10 girls I think, which is a really good number.

Today we had a pool party. I sat around and did this alot: while the kids splashed around and stuff.

I think it was a pretty successful day. There were popsicles, and an attempt at planning the year, and lots of laughing and not too much yelling.

Laura came and life guarded. We had to have a lifeguard, the rules say so, but seriously 10 kids who know how to swim in a small-ish pool is not a safety crisis. Safety Wise is our rock, its 150 pages of rules relate to anything we could possibly get up to.

Arts and crafts? Yup, we have safety rules for painting. Walking? Yup, got that. Swimming? Sure you can do that but don't even THINK about water, or look at water, or dip your toes into water if you don't have a lifeguard. For up to 10 kids you need one lifeguard and one adult spotter.

Thank goodness for Safety Wise, though it sometimes makes my life miserable, if I didn't have its guidance I wouldn't know how to follow the rules and what is Girl Scouts if not for getting really good at following the rules

1 comment:

Catherine N said...

10 sounds like a good number. nice and manageable, unlike my stupidly big unit of 36 which I am really trying to shrink this year before it drives me insane! I think UK guiding is probably as good at rules at the US. I know we def have the don't even think about looking at water without a lifeguard rule. Lots of totally unbreakable rules of what to do/not to do as well as confusing 'guidelines' which no one is ever sure if they have to follow or not - now all in a handily online version, if the guiding website decides to let you online today. :) Sounds like you had fun though.