Monday, September 7, 2009

Fudgie the Whale


This delightful creation is what Laura got me for my birthday. I can't even begin to describe the sweet layers of mint chocolate chip ice cream, chocolate crunchies and decadent fudge. MMMMMMMMM best birthday EVER.

Laura invited a bunch of people over and we drank beer and ate the left overs from Meredith's defense party and talked a lot about work and played some video games. It was a pretty awesome birthday.

In other news:

I know it's not Sunday. In fact, its LABOR DAY and guess where I am right now...If you guessed Working, because you're a poor schmuck of a Grad Student and holidays don't apply to you so you don't even THINK about not coming to work even though no one else is. You're right! I'm working. But clearly, not very hard. I'm even doing laundry.

On Sunday, I got up at 6:15 because I wanted to go to the team bike ride at 7:30. I would have to hurry, but it was doable. Then I realized at 6:17 that the bike ride was at 7:00. That left me exactly 13 minutes to get dressed, drink coffee, eat breakfast, walk the dogs, read the paper and get on my bike and get to the ride. I didn't drink any coffee and I ate breakfast as I rode to the group. Gross. I did okay for the first half of the ride, but then by the second half I was completely out of gas. Did I mention that I donated plasma on Saturday? I was sucking wind at the back of the pack getting all sorts of pity-inquirys from the team leader and other well meaning but annoying folks "Are you doing ok?" "Vamos! vamos equipo, vamos!" and my favorite, from a lady who had enough gear on her bike to ride for THREE days without stopping "Oh, your bike is such a pretty color! Have you been fitted properly on it?" To which I should have responded, but didn't "Shut up lady, I don't have $100 to spend on someone telling me that my bike, which is second hand because I can't spend $3000 on a bike like you, is too big for me and that I should move my seat forward. Thanks."

But I made it back to the starting spot with the group, thank goodness because if I had lost them at any point along the way I never never would have been able to find my way home from BFE Homestead, South Miami or wherever we were. Then I had about 5 more miles to go home. I've never rode any slower. Except maybe when I was trying to just stay upright going over some of those mountains in Switzerland. But it was flat, because I live in Miami and therefore I had no excuse besides complete exhaustion for being so slow.

When I got home, I immediately fell down on my bed and slept for an hour. I nearly died, luckily I didn't.

Today, I am taking a day off.

3 comments:

JET said...

Phew, finally! I was wondering what had happened to this week's update!! Oh, and about the bike: my Dutch bike is a children's one and it's very obvious. It's red and purple and very rickety, makes a terrible noise, the lights are broken, it's got a sharp bit near the lock that made my wrists look suicidal until I learnt to avoid it. Oh, and the tires get loose every few days and I have to borrow a wrenchie thing from someone. So I feel your pain!

Loft Offcourse said...

Jen, At least you're like child sized though, right? And it sounds like a good bike for you, because it doesn't go very fast...I seem to remember a certain Contura bike story that involved speed and bruises.

comet said...

Have you finished fudgie? I will move your seat forward when I get back. That lady should worry about herself. I'm sure you could beat her up the bridge