Monday, November 16, 2009

Jonathan Dickinson State Park, Photo Essay

Today Ruth is recovering from jet lag, so I thought that the best thing to help her out with that would be to go on a ridiculously long and hot hike.

Jonathan Dickinson State Park is so named because some poor sap was shipwrecked there in 1669. Jonathan Dickinson was a Quaker, who had a bunch of Quaker friends with him when they crashed on their way from Jamacia somewhere else I can't remember. I can't imagine their disappointment when they stepped out of the sea and hiked inland a bit to see the miserable surroundings they were suddenly forced to deal with. It's shrubby, sandy and hot. It was nice to get out and have a walk, but beyond that...it was still shrubby, sandy and hot.


We had FUN. Especially crossing rail road tracks.
We stopped for lunch when we found enough shade to huddle in along the trail. I brought my dragonfly along. It has a lot of moving parts so I try to be careful when I set it up. Here I am reading the instructions. "A soccer ball sized flame is normal." What?
But we got the stove lit and made ourselves a nice. hot. lunch. Just what we needed....Fritzilla approved.
Fritzilla was a bit overdressed for the occasion.
The trail was not hard to follow, but it would have been pretty easy to get lost and disoriented in the endless expanse of shrubs and palm trees.

We found a friend. This is Oscar.
We interrupted his lunch, but he didn't mind. He's an easy going guy, but he couldn't keep up so we left him behind.
The End.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

How's Miami these days? has it finally cooled off. I like your park photos!

Unknown said...

so glad this city kid wasn't invited... :) doesn't look like much fun to me. except maybe oscar, but of course you left him behind anyway.