Monday, August 2, 2010

South Africa, 1

We made it to Johannesburg with no major incidents. I think this day has lasted like 36 hours and we've seen at least 6 sunrises/sets. Crazy.

The flight to London went well. I sat next to KT and because Cheryl broke her knee we had a whole extra seat to spread out on. I took benedryl and slept through that flight. When we got to London at 6:30 am we had to wait in line for like 40 minutes just to get a bus to travel to a different terminal, then we went through passport check and took a train to our gate--all in all it took us over two hours to get from gate to gate, that was EXHAUSTING. We got to our gate just in time to board for our flight to Africa.

I ended up sitting in an aisle seat next to these two German guys. I fell asleep right when we got on the plane. Two badly behaved German guys. They woke me up less than an hour into the flight to get up, I was pretty cranky but then I decided that I'd better just stay up for the flight so that I could sleep when I got to SA. Good thing I decided to do that because these guys probably drank a whole case of beer (that's 24) between them and at least a half bottle of whiskey. They weren't stupid drunk or rowdy or anything but the were up and down and they talked the WHOLE way. At least it was in German so I didn't have to really know all the stupid stuff they were saying.

They fed us two meals and even though the guy who ordered our tickets didn't ask if anyone needed vegetarian meals--and so they didn't order special meals for me--I was able to ask them on the plane if I could get a special meal and they accommodated me, which was nice. The food was pretty good.

We did have a bit of drama on the plane--besides the antsy Germans--this old lady sitting in the aisle across from me--I say weird because she had this fanny pack and about 4 bags full of stuff and she was wearing leggings under a skirt and hippy sandals and as soon as she sat down she tucked her legs up under her and perched on the seat like a little bird. Then she started taking a bunch of pills from an unmarked bottle. I didn't think it was THAT unusual, they all looked like vitamins to me. But, I did notice that it seemed to take her a long time to get just the right combo out.

Before breakfast they served us drinks and the boys next to me started in right away on the Heinekin, and I did too--because they were and it's FREE. But I felt a bit guilty drinking a beer with my english breakfast so I only had about 1/3 of the can. Anyway, we had our drinks for a good 1/2 hour before they served my breakfast, which was early because I'm special. When I was chowing down I took a second to look up from my grub and noticed that the weird lady across the aisle was finishing off a mini bottle of wine, which seemed like an odd morning choice and it also seemed like she finished it pretty quick.

I was done with my breakfast when they started coming around with the regular breakfasts and the steward was really annoyed when weird-lady dropped the empty wine bottle on her foot. She served the people in the row in front of me and then I think we all noticed at once that weird-lady seemed to be having some sort of seizure. For the next 20 min or so there were 3 flight attendants in the aisle trying to get her to wake up and finding her travel partner (who was elsewhere in the plane). It was really scary and I was thinking "I hope she's okay" and "what if they have to make an emergency stop, we're in BFE". (literally, Egypt or something) Luckily, she came around. They filled out some special paperwork and let her go back to sleep. She slept for like 8 hours. She didn't remember any of it. Turns out she had taken an ambien and that doesn't go well with wine. oops

ok Ive written enough, I'm beat. The hotel we're in is really nice. I'm wearing a bathrobe right now.

2 comments:

Dad said...

I enjoyed your post. Keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

Like keeping tabs on you. Where are the pictures of lions and tigers and bears(most likely no bears or tigers) but lions at least?