Tuesday, August 24, 2010

They Finally Got it Right

I went to the police station this morning to get a copy of the police report from when my car was broken into. I called them first, to see if maybe they'd fax it to me--even though I'm uncomfortable with faxing (that's sooo 1996, who DOES that anymore? Like, use the e-mail), because I'm even more uncomfortable wiht driving down town. I always get lost or stuck waiting for a drawbridge, or I go into the wrong parking garage and end up paying $8,000 to park because no one will validate my parking. Not even if I say "But those garages were so CONFUSING! Someone should really put a sign up." Or maybe, Especially if I say that.

But the records unit only faxes things if you're an official government place. I thought about it for a second but decided to not press my luck by trying to convince the woman on the phone that I was very very official, you know 'cause I go to grad school and I have an extension and an office and I work in a place with Departments. I decided to just drive myself downtown and deal with traffic and stop lights and parking lots. I needed to go to the bank anyway.


I was pleasantly surprised that it was easy to get downtown. I was, however, disappointed to find out that the Police Station doesn't look ANYTHING like it does on Dexter and I didn't see anyone famous there. It was easy to get the report. The lady behind the counter was nice to me and it only cost $4. Easy.

I went back to school and wrote a very nice letter to AT&T along with the police report (that says clearly that the "victim" of the burgulary was unfortunately out of the country in South Africa at the time of the crime). Before I headed down to the fax machine, I checked my email and noticed that AT&T had already resolved my case and reversed the international roaming charges. But I faxed the documents anyway--because I drove DOWNTOWN.

Whoever I talked to on the phone on Saturday must have written a really detailed (and sad sounding) report about the theft of my cell-phone because I thought it was going to take a lot longer, and more evidence, to get them to take all that money off my bill.

Thanks AT&T!

Dear AT&T,

You finally made me proud, thank you. I'm willing to forget about the time that you told me "Sure, your account is all taken care of...you don't owe us anything else" before I moved to Switzerland. Then you turned me into collections for a bill that I didn't know anything about. I'm willing to forget about the time I didn't have internet for a month, because someone forgot to flip the 'switch' on your end, but I paid for service anyway. All of those past abuses I can gladly get over now, because you've removed the $800 of international roaming charges from my account.

Sincerely,

ME.

2 comments:

Science Funnies said...

Huzzah! All is well in the world.

I always openly laugh at people who ask me to fax something. Next time I will ask if I should get in my time machine first.

Ruthie said...

i fax a lot at work