Sunday, October 26, 2008

Luzern #3

Jen and Laura and I played in Luzern before the concert.

It was raining. It is ALWAYS raining in Luzern, that should be part of my Travel-Guide. Did you know I'm going to write a travel guide to Europe? It's like a scavenger hunt. Except, I have to visit more countries than 2 if I really mean Europe. I guess it's a travel guide to Switzerland. Ruth has read the first installment: Luzern. I digress.

We went to the glacier garden--I would recommend going there. You get to see the physical remnants of the glacier's awesome power as well as learn about how the glaciers in Switzerland are shrinking (it's shocking) and see some examples of 19th century Swiss houses. When you get done with all the museum-y learning type stuff, there's a hall of mirrors! It was built for a late 19th century world exhibition in Paris and was subsequently purchased by the glacier garden. I would recommend running around in it trying to lose your friends and then seeing if they can find you again. It's harder than you think to find a person in a hall of mirrors. Don't run too fast, and maybe put your hands out in front of you.

The day after then Ani concert, we walked around on the town walls and then Laura and I visited the Natural history museum before dragging our tired selves home. The Natural history museum was alright, it was smallish but had a really nice collection of bugs and rocks, so Laura was happy.

I'll post pictures later.

Later:

First we found the Lion. It is a very very sad statue, but something was hilarious none the less. I forget what

The biggest, most beautiful pothole in the world. I think. A pothole is caused when a vortex of water forms under a creeping glacier, the intense pressure of the water combined with sand and gravel can form very stunning holes in the ground.
We also found a very large spider. Jen was scared of it because it was "Panting" and might "jump up and bite us" at any second. I was looking for a tiger....
Jen and I tamed a wild beast.
Then we found the mirrors.

Chalet food....
And Dwarfies.

The next day we explored the town walls and the Nature Museum.

Here's one of many skeleton-in-everyday-life pictures that are all over one of the 15th century bridges in Luzern.

The Natural History Museum:
The first room is full of stuffed animals. The first thing I did was run in and pet the otter, before I read the sign that said "please don't touch" oops. I did not want to pet this bird. There was another stuffed bird that was in the process of eating a small goat. I guess this is what it looks like when it's done with dinner.

Then we found the bugs.

Cute Weevils. Just look at their little snouts! *(direct quote from Laura)
Scary bite-y bees. These are about 3 inches long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahahaha, your switzerland baby has grown!!!!