Saturday, November 29, 2008

Winter is Coming, and skiing.

Winter volunteers that is.

One has arrived already. She seems nice enough, she's from Canada.

I went skiing yesterday and fell off my skis. I nearly died, but didn't. Thank goodness. It was only about a centimeter drop, problem was the ground was coming at me so fast! The hills here are a bit steeper than they are in the States.

Jen and I went to Elsighorn (which is the boring round shaped mountain behind Bunderspitz). I made the mistake of being snotty about the ski area at first because there were no chairlifts or trees. They had lifts, of course, just pully bar ones though. Usually we only see those on the bunny hills in the State (or on the nursery slopes as they're called here). I said "Sure, I can do the intermediate slopes, I did those in the States"

Well, I couldn't. I had to move down to baby slopes. I was doing well until lunch, and then Jen decided that I should try the harder slopes. So we took another lift to the other side of the mountain, thereby eliminating the possibility of going down a baby slope. That's where I met the ground.

About that time, when I became scared and had to crawl down hills, the wind picked up. Not just a little wind, but gale bursts of hurricane force winds that you could HEAR coming down the mountain. When we heard the woosh all we could do was hunker down, close our eyes, and wait for it to pass. Since the conditions were miserable and I refused to ski properly anymore we left the mountain. A bit early, quite sad. But I'm going again on Thursday! Only baby runs though.

I'll post pictures as soon as Jen gives them to me.

Tonight we're having a danish christmas party!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i thought winter was here! it certainly is here!

looking forward to the news on the new vols