Thursday, February 12, 2009

Meet Mr. Diamond

Mom, I checked and there are no extra holes in my head--I have just the right amount.

I'm getting a new dog tomorrow. It's one of those things that I've been thinking about for a while and now the opportunity has presented its self.

I get sad-story-please-adopt-this-dog emails ALL THE TIME. Several a month at least. Usually they're people who pick up strays and are fostering them at their house until they can sucker someone else into taking it in--because they picked up a stray they couldn't actually accommodate. I never feel too bad for those people: it's not their dog. They can do the right thing and drop it off at the pound with a relatively clear conscience. The dog will probably fare better at the pound than on the street in Miami.

This time it was different. The sad story went like this: "My Lil' bro's (from Big Brothers/Big Sisters) family is being evicted from their house and they can't keep their family pet" Some poor little kid has a tough enough life--he's in Big Brothers, his family is being kicked out of their house AND he's losing his dog. So I thought, if I'm going to get another dog Some Day, why not now. At least this kid'll know his dog didn't get put down.

There is a problem though: This dog's name is Diamond. It's a boy. It's a boy named Diamond. That's a problem.

Here's the list of replacement names we've come up with so far:

Frank
Jack
Newton (Newt!)
Obama
Granite
Halley


What do you think? Stay tuned for news of Mr. Diamond's introduction to Scott, Ellis and Kricket.

No comments: