Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Boston. Old Stuff Part 1

Hi everyone! I've made a Monday resolution to update my blog more often.

You may know that I managed to kill off all of my Maine fish. That's right, the Walmart fish-department recruiters have been ringing my phone off the hook!

That 3800 mile, 6 day trek I took in May ended in tragedy for those poor souls that were unfortunate enough to end up in my trap in Chewonki Maine. Turns out, you have to feed them chicken livers. Too bad I didn't learn this until it was TOOOOO LATE.

I went back to Maine last week to pick up some new fishies. They're currently swimming away in their new tanks with their bellies full of chicken livers. Cross your fingers, light a candle, say a prayer, keep them in your thoughts.

Even though it was under sad circumstances, the trip was great. My dad flew up and met me in New Hampshire and we went to Boston for a few days before I had to get to work up in the marsh in Maine.

Here is the Boston part of the story: We saw a lot of old buildings. There's a lovely [free] walking tour in Boston called the Freedom Trail. If you're ever in Boston I would highly recommend stopping into the Ranger Station next to the Old State House--by the State T-Stop--and book yerself a ranger led tour. Even if you don't want to follow a ranger around, you could still follow the red painted line on the sidewalk with the help of a few brochures, or even a cheap booklet you can pick up at any gift shop.

Without further ado, here's the first of several Boston photo-essays.

My dad and I took the T down to State Street. It was fun and easy. What you can't tell from this picture is that the people sitting across from us are carrying a basket full of kittens. I didn't get to actually see them, but I could tell they were kittens by the way everyone was cooing.

We found Paul Revere first thing. This is what anyone visiting Boston should do. I dressed myself, by the way. It was 3:30 in the morning and I was half asleep. QED.
My old friend Adrienne lives in Boston and we met up and drank some beer and ran around town. **Confidential to Adrienne: Thanks for the really awesome local-guided tour, I had a super great time.

The next day, my dad and I took the Ranger Guided Freedom Trail tour. This is Fanuiel hall. It was built in 1742 as a market place and local meeting hall. Sam Adams, Ben Franklin and other big shots of the Colonial times spoke their minds here. Now its surrounded by a few more market buildings and is still used for its original purpose--only now there are high school graduations in the great hall upstairs and probably less revolutionary speeches.

This is the inside.

Dad takes a lot of pictures. I hope he puts them on a CD and sends them to me.....

Bonus Fun Section!!!

Name the place where these items are found and you will be rewarded with a handsome prize!!


1. Creeeeepy Eagle of Freedom. Watch your kids!
2. Coddilicious
3. Only a TRUE Bostonian knows where this is.

2 comments:

Moofie said...

no fair!

Unknown said...

Cate! I like reading your blog post about your trip up north and I'm really glad I got to see you. I had a good time catching up so I'm happy you had a good time, too. And, confidentially, you're welcome! I would take the quiz you posted, but it might be too easy for me....