Sunday, June 6, 2010

Alice McKlunk and Surprise! Bonus!

Check it out! I'm getting all ready for my race tomorrow. My SeaLice have subsided and I can now sit still without the overwhelming urge to claw at my chest/back. However, I'm still somewhat nervous. I haven't been on my bike in 2 months (I'm so embarassed to admit this but it's true) Someone did tell me that riding a bike is well, like riding a bike, so I should be fine. Should be fine. Should. My bike--Alice McKlunk--has been through a few rounds of modifications in the past few months. Laura bought a new frame and was playing with adding parts from her old bike to my bike and then taking them off again. This morning, when I was wheeling Ms. McKlunk to her corral in the transition area I noticed that her headset--the thing that allows the handle bars to turn freely within the fork or whatever--was difficult to turn and had a tendency to 'snap' into a straight forward position. Great. So I showed it to Luis who is one of my favorite swim-buddies and he told me that I had a bad bearing. That sounds bad. A few other team-mates very enthusiastically told me that I needed "to move my seat back, put on a longer stem and fix the headset" but "It's such a pretty bike! Is that aluminum? Classic." and "Oh, that's okay, my bike is 12 years old!" Poor old Ms. McKlunk, she can't catch a break. She has an appointment next week with a nice man who gave me a card that says "custom aluminum shelving" and said he'd pick her up and fix her... Sounds legit.

In other triathlon news: I finally got a uniform! I bought a race suit, which is like onesie, and I took it home and tried it on. I ordered a small because I was feeling optomistic about my size and it didn't fit. It was baggy. I drove myself in the sweltering heat all the way back over the bridge to the race expo and waited really patiently while the club president helped a thousand other people buy uniforms only to be told "I didn't order any extra smalls" Ahhh man. But! She was thinking on her feet and said "Oh but I have a few tri tops from last year" She dug around in a box under the table and managed to find the very last left over top from last year. And it fit. There you have it, now I'm official. Good thing too, because I'm signed up to start in the Team Only wave ( a wave is a group of people who get in the water all at once ) instead of my normal age group wave, but I have to have an official team uniform in order to get in the water with the team. I was a bit worried but it all worked out. Now I just have to survive the 24 mile bike ride :< Should have trained for that, but Alice McKlunk is so uncomfortable! And step aerobics is so much fun! Perhaps the tri should be Swim, Step, Run. I'll write a letter.


I got all my gear!


And now, for your bonus surprise! Here are field pictures. Like I said, I didn't take many because Misery does not make me inspired to photograph things.





No comments: