Saturday, June 26, 2010

Packing for Dingle and Day by Day

SMS summer institute is over, I have time to think/work in the lab.

And, I've finally started packing.

I set my Backcountry 1 up last night for the first time--in the living room, which proved somewhat challenging. It's skinnier and longer than I thought, and I love it. It's extremely roomy inside--unlike the Spitfire. I can sit up and stretch out inside it without feeling claustrophobic at all. The Spitfire got really low down towards the foot area and so it was really just an oversized bivy. The Backcountry is just like a small version of a regular tent.

Since it's supposed to be rainy and windy on the Dingle Peninsula I think it's going to be nice to have a free standing tent that I can set up quickly.

The only drawback--and the price that I must pay for its roomyness and free-standing-ness is that it is a full pound heavier than the Spitfire.

Here's my packing list:

Tent
Sleeping bag
Sleeping bag liner (it's supposed to get down into the 40s and I don't wanna freeze my butt off)
NeoAir (it doesn't take up any room in my pack, but it blows up to 2.5 inches thick and weighs only 9 oz!!!)
Granite Gear Vapor Ki pack (I'm hoping that it's small/light enough that I can carry it on so I don't have to check it--the fabric isn't terribly thick/strong and I'm worried that it could get torn. Also: I don't want my stove, fuel bottle, or water filter to get banged up in cargo.)

1L Pot+ Bowl + Spoon
Dragon Fly + empty 10oz fuel bottle [I packed the fuel pump inside my pot to protect it during the journey]
Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter
Backup water treatment tabs
compass + Cards + Notepad + extra batteries + camera
Headlamp
First Aid Kit (has stuff for cuts and scrapes and some medicine for pain, etc)
2 T-shirts
underwear
3 pairs of socks + polypro liners
Rain Coat
Rain Pants
Rain cover for pack
Gaiters
Food, like soup and hot chocolate and oatmeal and coffee/tea--I'm planning on buying most of my food on the road
Stocking cap
Fleece Jacket
Long Johns
Bandanna
Pocket Knife
Kindle
(this will be necessary for plane trips, bus trips, and general sanity)
Dinge Way Rucksack Reader (waterproof guide book to the trail)
Packtowel




I packed all that up and weighed my bag--it still doesn't have water or fuel in it--and I'm at 20 pounds. Not bad. I can handle this. I'm thinking of throwing in my light-weight lunaracers too so that I don't have to tromp around in boots for a week and a half.

Yaaaaaay Dingle!


June 29: meet up at JFK, fly to DUB
June 30: arrive DUB, meet up with RUTHIE take bus to busaras and check in at hostel, blah blah blah
July 1: see stuff in dublin: book of kells, dublin castle, drink guiness, visit guiness brewery
July 2: take bus at 7:30 am from busaras to limerick. Limerick to Tralee. Tralee to camp, Hike to castlegregory ~6miles
July 3: Castlegregory to cloghane there's a hostel there. 8.5 miles
July 4: cloghane to ballycurrane.ish
July 5: feohanagh...
July 6: make dunquin. (this is 27 miles from cloghane). There's a hostel here
July 7: dunquin to dingle, 14 miles. hostel in dingle
July 8: make it to annascaul or close
July 9: take bus from annascaul to shannon:
annascaul depart
connect in tralee
arrive limerick
July 10: depart shannon

3 comments:

ruthie said...

thermarests are the comfiest thing to sleep on when you're going lightweight! they are so so nice!!

have you got insect repellant and bite relief stuff- you never know, the sun MIGHT come out!

suncream?

do you have a pen and your address book? or sheet of paper with your addresses on.


can't wait to see you!!

Loft Offcourse said...

Do I have to wear sunscreen in Ireland? Do they even HAVE sun there?
I seem to have lost my bug-repellent
and anyway i'll buy the liquidy stuff over there.

thanks for helping me fill my list in!

Ruthie said...

you should be ok. but i pack for everything!

they do have sun. but they have a lot of the rain from the atlantic!

you're going to love thefresh air but i hope you're going to be warm enough!