Friday, June 4, 2010

They're Baaaaaaaccccckkkk



When oh when will I ever learn? See this nonsense? This is not a picture of my back, but it could be. I went for a swim with the triathlon team yesterday morning. I've asked the other people in the group if they get itchy after swimming: "Huh, why would we?" Why is it that the plankton here in Miami is so unfriendly to me? Not to anyone else, just me.

I'm racing on Sunday so I figured I should remind myself that I'm an okay swimmer once more before the big day. I haven't been training much for this race. My main goal at this point is just to finish it and make all the cut off times. (If you take too long on any section of the race they pull you out and don't let you finish.) I wasn't the only one who got in the water Thursday as a confidence booster. Our club president was there too. As we walked out to the buoys to start our swim she said "How do you swim again? I haven't been in the water for a year" some guy responded "It's like crawling, in the water." she said "Oh, okay".

My swim was fast enough, I beat all the 70 year old men and the club president, but now I can hardly bear to consider the itchiness I'm going to have to deal with for the next few days. I may stay home and eat Benadryl today. I'm never getting in that water again, I swear. At least not until I forget how miserable it is to be covered in sea lice bumps.

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

ouch! do you need thicker swim gear? something like a water tight space suit that more stream line and floaty? yey for friday!