Saturday, March 28, 2009

Shark Valley

Shark Valley is Everglades Light. It's where you go when you want to see some alligators hanging out but don't want to commit to canoes and bug spray and signing liability wavers. Meredith told me that it's a pretty neat place to go--when you're training for a marathon it's a nice 15 mile run...I guess. When Jen was in town I thought it would be a nice place to take her. She wanted to see a swamp. She was disappointed to find that there was no mossy areas to frolic in barefoot, I was really disappointed to find out that there were no sharks. It's named for some river basin. How lame is that? At least it's not a Bog.

Here's a little photo essay.
"There are many alligators in this ditch because there is water in this ditch. This ditch is here because an oil company dug out the rock to make a road. The very road I'm standing on. The alligators are here because someone was looking for oil. Oil exploration saves animals. QED. Off to the Arctic!" I am a park ranger.

Look! I found one!
Laura REALLY likes alligators.
Jen becoming familiar with the swamp fauna. She is trying to make peace with the sawgrass.
Baby Alligators. And we couldn't even pet them! Silly federal regulations...
Oh but I really want to!
My 1st favorite bird, ever. The wood stork.
Laura likes wood storks, but not as much as alligators.
See!
She even got to take one home. This is Harold.
This bird eats fish.



And finally, because no blog post is complete without some sort of gratuitous pet picture. Grant got a snake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate,

Like the travel log and cute picture of your new dog. What does your shirt say?

Mom

Anonymous said...

Look how fast Granite's tail is wagging. She must be happy. It's just a blur.