Sunday, April 5, 2009

I found my camera cable

Jen and I do St. Augustine, Florida. Photo Essay.

First stop: The Cemetary.

Which is awfully well maintained by a team of elderly people. No one has been interred here since 1864, but still they come daily and...water the graves.The cemetary was created in the early 19th century for non-Catholics and yellow fever victims. For those two reasons it was outside the city walls.
They were more straightforward back then...
Next Stop: Castillo de San Marcos, oldest masonry fort in the US. Also, home of the oldest men in full wool uniforms in 90 degree heat.

"Would you mind if my friend took a picture of us?"
"Not at all, come closer, grab my gun"
"Ok!"
"Hey, does anyone else have a problem with nipple chafing?"
"Oh, like you wouldn't believe!"
"Can someone help me with this wheelbarrow of gun powder? Seriously you guys, I don't have the patience to stand out here and shoot the breeze. My breeches are SOAKED."
They march too.
Then they set off cannons.
"Excuse me, colonial reenactor, would you take a picture of me and my girlfriend?"
"ok..."
--It's too bad I didn't get my camera out fast enough, but imagine if you will this guy with his musket propped up against his hip, taking a picture of the smiling couple.
When they weren't taking photos of tourists, they were shooting their muskets over the edge of the fort.
Jen made some new friends. Really we were just very hot and wanted to go somewhere with air conditioning. We found this indian stuff shop. It was going out of business and was very depressing inside. But it was cool enough.
This is our pirate hostel.

These are REAL PIRATES. They roam the streets of St. Augustine after dark.
Al Capone and I had a chat.
This is a group of Girl Scouts singing "On My Honor" in the town square. They're EVERYWHERE.

It rained REALLY hard overnight. Here's a new pond. I think I'll go for a swim.

And then I drove home. The End.

3 comments:

CouponAlbum said...

OMG!! Totally amazing pictures!! It seems to be very nice place!!

Anonymous said...

Kate,

You need to update your profile.

Me

Ruthie said...

haha brilliant. Jen's expression on that first picture! what a lovely place to take her