Friday, May 21, 2010

Deepwater Horizon

I just want to point out that that name sounds like an Airplane Novel title. How appropriate. That's not even the reason for this post, but it's related. Keep reading:

I've been running to school in the morning. It's a nice 4.somethingish mile run and it feels less pointless than driving to school and then running, or running in circles near my house and then driving. It's a nice run that has a beginning and an end which are in two different places and a large bridge in the middle. It's a nice route. After my run I took a shower and got dressed. I keep a stash of clothes in my desk now. The drawer to my left here, the one that isn't full of papers, though it should be, is a nice dresser. Then I drove out to main campus to take care of some paperwork. Always paperwork.

When I got back around 11 I ran into a Frantic Dlc. I didn't think that he wanted my data analyzed THAT bad, I thought "sheesh, I'm gonna do it, I'm doing it now". But then he surprised me "We need to go to Louisiana this weekend, like, today".

I'm not sure what these people were up to for the past month or so while the oil has been gushing out of that pipe and slowly working its way towards the Louisiana estuaries, but This Morning it became imperative that we get over to LA as soon as possible so we can catch fish Before the oil hits and kills a bunch of them. Assuming it kills a bunch of them.

The idea is that we can get genomic samples from before oil and after oil to do some cool evolutionary/population genomic work. The oil may be hitting our collection site tomorrow so we're in a big hurry now to get over there and get the fish out of the water before that happens. I'm gearing up for my second overnight drive to LA this month. Here we go! Don't know when I'll be back. Some time.

Peace!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I just phoned DLC. I have liver samples from Port Fouchon Louisiana from a year ago in RNA later in the white freezer. Also RNA from hearts.

Meredith said...

How'd the trip go? Or is the pain of memory too fresh?