Saturday, May 8, 2010

Lame Saucery at the Annual Film Fest




My kids made a "docudrama" about tomatoes for the annual film festival. It was mostly un-factual. For instance, did you know that the biggest tomato ever was 65 feet long? and that they are the Fruits of New Jersey? Or that the varieties of tomatoes include the Higher-loom? It was super cute and they did everything themselves from start to finish.

This afternoon VK, who helped them make the video with her super awesome editing skillz, and I drove over to the film fest and eagerly awaited their jubilant arrival.

And they didn't come, and they didn't come, and they didn't come.

I called one of the moms, because I had a suspicion that they were all together at her house celebrating one of the girls' first communions. "Hi, how are you?" I said. She took a deep breath and waited a moment before saying "Ohhhhh, right.... well, umm... I have company over and the other girls are here, but they're waiting for their parents" Ok, thanks for letting me know. I call a few more parents and get the same answer. Which is fine, I know that life gets in the way and sometimes they can't make it to activities. But are their fingers broken? Can they not call me? Because trust me, the highlight of my weekend wasn't sitting through 4 minute videos of kids messing around with video cameras.

VK and I decided to stay because well, the film was set to be shown and why not hang out and see what the other kids had come up with. The videos were alright, one group of kids did a really nice video about the possibility of ghostly-hauntings in Coconut grove. I don't think the kids themselves made that video, but it was pretty fun to watch.

At the end awards were given out. I walked up to accept my girls' award and felt kinda dumb. I asked if I should give an acceptance speech and the little girl with the microphone pulled it away from me and said "No!" I took it and thanked the academy anyway. Nice kid, nice.


**photos by Veronique Koch

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The real film talent was hidden in the Tomatoes blooper reel. My only regret is that I didn't recognize and nurture that during our editing session because the girls were clearly passionate about it.

Ruthie said...

another trophy to add to your already stunning collection!

HKCrawford said...

I know that look, it's your excited look, right?