Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Fiesta! Calle Ocho! aye aye aye!

Now that I live closer to the center of Little Havana action I get to really experience Calle Ocho. This Sunday was the annual Calle Ocho Festival. Laura and I took Granite (because she is the Good dog) out for a stroll down the ol' Calle. "It's like a street fair, it'll be fun" I told her. She agreed and so off we went.

It was like a street fair for the first couple blocks, if a street fair has no booths and mostly just people walking in the same direction. Actually, it was more like a scene out of a post apocalyptic movie--there was garbage on the street a slight breeze and everyone seemed a little anxious and chatty--but with an upbeat atmosphere. After a few blocks we started encountering booths. It was not like any street fair I've ever been to that had local artists or demonstrations or dancing areas or anything like that. It was row after row of booths offering either battery operated bubble blowers for children or flags from any central or south American country you want--which were meant to be worn as capes or dressesand booths selling various meats on sticks. Laura and I didn't try any of the meats on sticks but we did drink coconut juice through a straw out of a chilled coconut that a man cut open with a machete for us. It was refreshing but didn't taste like very much. I think maybe we got a dud, but it was a nice pairing with the street food we bought. We had an arepa, which is like a sweet corn pancake/mozzarella sandwich that is grilled and greasy. It's weird to eat sweet greasy food, but when on Calle Ocho...

Granite liked it too, but she got a little overwhelmed when the crowd got thicker and the music became ear-splitting. We got stuck behind a trash can trying to go against the flow of people after we turned around to go home. We were trying to push our way out when some old lady decided to tell us that "Bringing a dog was a terrible idea". I said "She's fine", which she was. I would have said more too but my foot got run over by a stroller.

Then we walked home. I think we missed the really hoppin' stuff that was going on further down on the Calle, but I wasn't willing to shove my way through the mosh pit/street fair to see it. It was loud and hot and overwhelming, so we picked up some $2 cervecas and called it a day.

No comments: