Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Pros

I'm a Hammerhead. That mostly means that when it's warm enough, and I'm motivated enough, I go swimming with the triathlete club at the nastiest beach in Miami where I get assaulted by all sorts of planktonic sea life. It also means that I get approximately 1,500 emails a day that do not have anything to do with me. Sometimes I read them. Like a few weeks ago I got an email that said "House a pro for the Miami International Triathlon and I'll give you a free entry to the Miami Nice" I said "Ok, sounds fun" We were assigned one pro, but he came with a friend, so we ended up with two pros. For four days.

They were from Brazil and we hit it off immediately because they brought me candy and coffee. They were also super nice. They had to share our small spare room, which was really only big enough for one, but they somehow managed to fit 25 exercise balls and 47 yoga mats and a blowup bed and themselves into that room. I think they spent all their free time--while they weren't actively racing or training--collecting exercise balls and yoga mats. Maybe they're taxed heavily in Brazil or something.


Look! Pros in my backyard!!

I was kind of nervous around them though, because I didn't want them to think I was a big weirdo "yeah, I'm a triathlete too! I've done ONE race! We have So much in common! omg! Let's talk about supplements!" I got the impression that they probably felt a little awkward too. One of them asked me what I did. "So, do you like...work?" and I said "Yes, I blah blah blah" and he said "Oh, so you're a geek?" and I said "oh, I guess you could say that"...

They had super nice stuff too, because they were Professionals. Laura really wanted to touch it, but I told her not to. The pros walked in while she was looking very closely at their crank sets and was embarrassed.



Now they're gone...I think I miss them a little.

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

i love the grin on Laura's face! magic