Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Raw raw raw

I'm back from my meeting in DC. I was up there at an NSF conference related to my fellowship program. It was a good meeting and I was excited to hear about how the other programs run--one group prints up posters with their pictures and posts them in the schools, so the kids can read about what they do and get excited or ask questions. I think I'd like to do that. I think that my students think of me too much as a sub or an assistant, which is how I'm treated. But anyway...one bad thing about the conference is that they scheduled every session within two time periods--rather than spreading them out into morning and afternoon sessions on two different days, they only had morning sessions on Saturday and Sunday and piled about 15 talks concurrently into the schedule, so there was a lot I wanted to hear about but didn't get a chance to. I can't be in more than one place at once! The good part about that concurrent session nonsense, though, was that we had the afternoons to run around.

Three fellows and one teacher went and I ended up traveling around a lot with a really interesting fellow from Venezuela. We went to some of the Smithsonian museums and walked through the Mall and ate hotdogs (it's the American way). We talked alot about globalization and how interesting it is that we can experience so many different cultures in Miami. She told me that the arepas I ate during the Calle 8 festival were Venezuelan in origin and that when they eat them they put whatever they feel like in the middle...mostly left overs I think. She also told me she would show me how to make them, yum!

I've got some pictures and more exciting stories to post about the trip, but that will have to wait until my sleep budget is not in the red, but there is one thing I wanted to let you know about.






I LOVE LADY GAGA. It's true. It can not be denied. You may be surprised to read this, considering my long standing love affair with Ani, but they're not so different. Let's play a game....Gaga or Ani???


VS




"He kissed me on the subway train, he took my clothes right off and then he ate my heart and my brain"

"I kissed you on the street that night on the far side of four and I didn't mind the taste in my mouth or yours"

"When I say you sucked my brains out the english translation is I am in love with you"

"Raw raw romama"

"Oh oh oh oh oh oh yeah oh oh oh oh oh oh oh yeah"

"I don't fool myself with romance, I just live phone number to phone number"

"Stop calling I don't want to talk anymore, I left my head and my heart on the dance floor"

"I wish you the best on your way, I didn't mean to hurt you, I never thought we'd fall out of place"

"I am letting the telephone ring"

"Too bad you had to have a better half"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hermione had something in one of the Harry Potter Books so she could be in two places at the same time. Your a scientist, maybe you could figure it out. Isn't time travel something they cover in physics?

Get a better picture of people in wet suits. A geographically challenged person, might at first thing she was looking at a really picture of Miami at first glance. Woops, did I give away too much?

Miss you