Friday, March 26, 2010

Like a Seal Torpedo

Last weekend was the first day of spring, right? That means that winter is over and summer is coming, so I decided it was time to get back in the water. The Miami NICE tri is coming up too fast and my fitness level is not quite up to par for the Olympic Tri that I'm going to be taking on. Perhaps my eyes are bigger than my ... biceps?

I borrowed a wetsuit (or three) from KT and headed to the beach this morning. I've never swam in a wetsuit before and I was a little self conscious because I was wearing a diving wetsuit--a farmer john--with plastic knees and a separate top. All the other guys have race suits that are slick and flexible and have long zipper pulls. I struggled to pull my suit on and reach around and fumbled for the 2 inch long zipper pull. I hope they didn't think I looked stupid. Doesn't matter, the price was right and I was warm. More importantly, I was floaty. Now I know how seals feel. I don't think my back even got wet today when I was swimming.

I got there at 7:30 to meet up with my fellow Sharks. They're all lovely retirees who have about a thousand races under their belts and at least 3 decades on me. They're never in a hurry. We got in the water finally at 8:15. I'm not sure where the time goes, or why they're content to literally stand around when day light is burning. I guess getting older means you have lots of time to appreciate the sunrise and not worry about whole system water changes or revising protocols or the STUPID *&(^%& PLATE READER THAT ATE MY DATA.

Usually I'm faster than them, but today we kept pace. I've got a lot of work to do.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Seriously I need to be in Florida too! I want to be at the beach so bad and this is only making me jealous.