Thursday, July 3, 2008

Awkwardness

The universal sign for awkward is to bring your shoulders up around your ears, place your hands at about waist level with your palms up and your fingers pointing out. The sign may be universal but the meaning varies. In the States, awkward can mean "bad at doing something" or "inefficient" while in the UK (at least as far as I can tell) awkward means "annoying".

We had the most complain-y group ever from America here this week. One of the guests was named 'the Awkward one', but I suppose this was the UK definition. She complained about everything--hiking, the weather, no chocolate fondue (even though severe nut allergies were given as a reason, she wondered why the allergic girl couldn't have been excluded).

She did however like my food, and told me so. The volunteers who overheard it made wrinkly nosed faces and something close to the universal awkward sign.

I'm off to Delemont tonight, hopefully I'll buy a bike tomorrow. I've decided that I must have a new bike--more on that later.

No comments: