Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Gosh, it's been a while

Hasn't it? Nothing terribly exciting has been going on in the Suisse, except:
  1. I was missing a large sum of money for a few days, that was scary, thanks Swiss banks.
  2. I bought an espresso maker and have been enjoying frothy capaccinos with my breakfast. That's how I found out that my bank account was empty.
  3. I did not go to Paris or France at all last weekend. I suppose that's because one of my hobbies is declining invitations, even when I make them to myself.
  4. I am once again planning to go up Bunderspitz on Friday, we'll see how that goes.
That's the last 7 days in a nutshell. Laura and I had a nice weekend in Delemont. We decided to hang around town and take it easy instead of biking into the unknown--France. Lately, instead of a list of places I've been, I've been making a list of places I meant to go:
  • St. Ursanne
  • Winkel, France
  • Paris, France
  • Bunderspitz
Perhaps that will change.

On Sunday we began Event 11 here at the Chalet. There are Brits, Canadians, Danes and 6 Americans from Bellingham. One of them even has the same last name as me...I've never met another except for family of course.

Coming back to the Chalet after my days off is usually exciting. Sometimes in good ways, and less often in annoying, inconveinient ways. Sometimes I find strange things in the fridge--for instance, a llama sculpture made of Chalet Creme cookie boxes or leftovers-that-no-one-will-ever-eat-so-why-didn't-you-just-use-the-whole-thing-up--or annoying notes about how I should do my job--"Great, I hadn't already thought of stocking the soda machine, thanks for your help!!". But usually there are presents for me. Guests bring gifts for the staff when they come here and since I'm never around when they depart on Saturdays I get to avoid the awkward thank-yous and the presents end up on my desk. I love that.

When I got back from my weekend there was something on my desk from one of the girls from Event 10. She said that she had wanted to talk to me about the climate in Oregon all week but I wasn't at work on Friday or Saturday so she couldn't. But instead, she thanked me for having a shaved head (which I don't at all!) and left me a 2009 calendar that has pictures of Californian State Parks. Tops!

No comments: