Saturday, July 5, 2008

My First Bike Ride

Yay! I'm a real biker. I think that Laura and I rode about 50 kilometers, but it's hard to say really because we were stopped many times. We ran into a motorcycle race, some gravel roads, and a bike store that we needed to go to was closed for lunch--but most of our breaks were caused by my inability to pedal any further without feeling like I was going to topple off my bike. I'll get better though, and I only fell off my bike once for real.

Having a bike is wonderful. I understand why Laura would get up and bathe her bike first thing in the morning, or get upset when I said nasty things about it. I was just jealous. Now I don't have to scowl at her bike maps anymore and I've already decided to bike around every lake in Switzerland before I leave. Who needs baseball?


And now for a little photo essay of our first bike ride to the top of a small mountian in the Jura.

This is Laura being a good sport and waiting for me. She's laughing at me, I've probably got my leg stuck between the crank and the frame, or I'm scooting along with both my feet on the ground because I've refused to pedal anymore.


Here I am trying to get my feet in the pedals. This has been my biggest problem so far, trying to get the little plastic cleats on my shoes into the little plastic clips on my pedals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What cleat system do you have?
If it's clips on the pedals, try leaving the straps really loose for a while until you get the hang of it without having to look down.

Also, you could find a narrower shoe with a stiffer sole than a running shoe to wear since running shoes are so wide across the middle where your foot fits onto the pedal. There's nothing worse than getting your foot stuck in the pedals.

I wouldn't recommend the twist on/off cleats either since it's easy to wreck your knees.

Definitely find the method that works for your feet - don't worry about what one is "supposed" to use - just find out what's best for you. Happy Trails!