Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Say Hello to my Little Friend


His name is Marvin, he's a pointy eared squirrel. The vols refeer to them as Squats (because they're squirrels with bat ears). He comes into my kitchen and steals bread. I'm pretty sure this is not inline with Swiss hygenic standards. I chased him out past the shop yesterday, and I could have grabbed him by the tail. I thought better of it because cleaning up blood and bandaging fingers takes too much time and makes me cranky.


Here's a little story about something else that makes me cranky: Special Diets that aren't Really That Special.

For example: there's a little girl here this week who is allergic to Wheat, Eggs, and Milk. Ok, not a problem. I got some special wheat free bread, rice cakes, soy milk, margarine stuff like that for her. I havn't been able to find egg-replacers here in Switzerland though. I make her special food at dinner time. It's my job, I enjoy doing it.

Unfortunately on Monday morning we were out of soy milk and she was upset because she did not want to eat the wheat-free bread because it wasn't white. She had an apple for breakfast. Ok. At dinner time I went out of my way to make her something nice because I felt bad about breakfast.

After all the serving dishes went out, she didn't come to the window. I had to go out into the dining hall and announce her name, hoping she wasn't eating posion food, which makes me both panicky and cranky at the same time. I've written on this point before--that allergic people should be responsible for their allergies. On this occasion though, I found the girl and said "That has wheat, eggs and milk in it" she said "Oh, it's ok, my Mom said I could eat it". Wait, what? What!?

The End.


In Other News: Last night while we were walking home Jen asked me: "Are you planning on climbing any Real Mountains" to which I replied, "Humph!!!"


*I didn't take this picture, I stole it from someone's flicker album. I'm usually terribly busy when Marvin comes around.

1 comment:

bon bon said...

i miss this cheeky chap!