Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Stöckli adventures

Is it Wednesday already? I've been dead busy, I haven't gotten home before 10 pm yet this week. Perhaps tonight will be different. I haven't been working the Whole time. Last night, for example, I was in Stöckli until nearly 10 getting a haircut from Ruth. She did an alright job for a first timer, though I did have to touch it up this morning. Actually, it's fairly amazing that it's not a terrible haircut considering she used Rachel's embroidery scissors to do it. Oh gosh, I just realized: My mom is reading this! Mom, don't worry, it's just a bit shorter. You know how unruly it gets, and you should be glad Ben wasn't cutting my hair.

Stöckli is an interesting place. It's the staff house, and right now the ten volunteers have made themselves quite at home in there. I hadn't been in there for weeks. They're quite messy and love to write things on large pieces of paper and stick them to the walls. I suppose most people like to do this. I certainly enjoy it. One of the posters is a list of names of people playing the murder game--dead people are crossed off. My name is scribbled out, it's quite sad. There are a surprising number of people still alive, and an overwhelming number of dead people who were offed by my neighbor, Jen. Another poster has a list of german words. It's a short list, actually it's just the conjugation of the verb Sein--to be and the two phrases "Du bist spät" with the comment "Kat says this alot" and "Es tut mir leid" --"I am very sorry". Glad to see I'm helping them learn german. The last interesting poster has a list of quotes--things they've said, or other people have said that they find amusing. I'm not sure how I feel about this one:

"Can you do (the worst job ever), I'll make you cookies, Kisses!" --Kat

I guess I say that alot. But I make a lot of cookies too.

In other news:
I've been hugged twice now by guests. Yesterday it was because I made a special cake for a person with a special diet and I put her first initial on it in blue frosting. It makes me feel good but, I think I prefer thank you cards.

Oh, and the volunteers--bless their little hearts--have made a folder on the Stöckli computer entitled "Cakes!" and it's full of pictures of my cakes. I will post all those soon. Yesterday I made a hippo cake that looked more like a monster/monkey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really want to see pictures of these cakes now!