Friday, July 4, 2008

Pete's Bike Store

Pete seems to be the only American-loving Swiss I've met so far. He had an Uncle Sam piggy bank and a large-ish american flag on top of his file cabinet that was covered in stickers for all sorts of American made bikes and bike accessories. A great place to spend the 4th of July--I think we found the right store.

Pete didn't have a single new bike in his store. He also didn't seem to have any sort or organization system for his goods besides piles of similar types of things. For instance: he had a large rubbermade bin of seats behind his door and a stack of helmets around the corner from the cascade of bike lights. My kinda guy.

I asked him for the Trek 1.7 and he gave me a crosseyed look and said it wasn't in the magazine anymore. He did have one Trek hanging up by the door. I had to ask him three times to take it down before he realized I was serious. He said it was second hand, and that he'd give it to me for 600 CHF.

Laura said it was too big for me--52 centimeters, but I said that it was right for my budget. So I took it out for a ride. Pete shortened the stem and gave it a not-so thourough tune up, and it was alright.

An hour and a half later I walked out with new brake pads, slightly crooked handlebars and a new-to-me-bike. He gave it to me for 500CHF after everything and Laura's straightened the handlebars for me.

I love it.

We walked about 2 kilometers to the Münchenstein train station, which looked about like Pete's Bike store--dilapadated.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you ready for a gel seat yet?
or do you plan on breaking in the saddle like the 'ole suisse?