Sunday, September 21, 2008

You're putting WHAT up your nose?

Winter is Here. Did I mention that? When Jen and I walked out the door this morning around 8, and discovered that we were in a cloud (a cold miserable cloud) she said "I thought it was supposed to be sunny and beautiful today" I laughed, and reminded her that it was barbeque day. It's the last on-site barbeque day of the year. But I still have to muddle through an Ensligen barbeque again (that's right, load up the Subaru we're goin' out!).

It's now the 4th week of Autumn, and also Friends of o u r Chalet week. Or as I lovingly refer to it "FooC week" It's tempting to pronounce that more like "Duck" than "Look", but I'm on best behavior. It's a week where old ladies get to come back to the Chalet and pretend they're 15 again. We only have 5 of the official FooC ladies, and a handful of other old ladies making similar pilgrimidges. There's a group from Scotland who have already managed to piss me off. But I'm practicing compassion this week so I won't even explain why we call one of them Braveheart now (and they haven't even been here 24 hours).

I've been reading a lot. For my birthday, Sonia sent me a trunk full of books. I've finished I know this much is true and now I'm nearly through Eat Pray Love, which I suppose was my destiny to read. Oprah, the Girl Scout moms, Laura's mom and my next door neighbor Jen all conspired to get the book into my hands. If you don't know: it's about a woman who hates everything and runs away to Europe for a year (sounds familiar). She learns Italian, finds God and balance (pretty efficient). You should read it too. Find God on the inside, or use your pretty power.

My point was that I have a hard time writing when I'm reading tons, so that's where I've been. Did you miss me?


Besides the FooC ladies, we have a new volunteer here, HIS name is Lukas and he's a 19 year old Swiss boy. He's only staying for 2 weeks. He thinks he knows everything and was reported to have said yesterday "Well I've never worked with women who are as competent as me before" in response to the question "How do you feel about being bossed around by women all day". Oh boy.

Yesterday, we were having some down time as the curry bubbled away on the stove (in a pan on the stove, not litterally on the stove like last time) and I walked out of my office to see him snorting some brown powder up his nose from the back of his hand. At least he wasn't using a mirror and a $100 bill I suppose. He said it was Snuff, from England, and that everbody in Switzerland does it, wanna try? I made him wash his hands and get out. His eyes got red and watery and he didn't seem to care about much after that. What?! Ok Brits: can you please report on this Snuff stuff? Do you know what it is? Should I alert the local authorities?

PS: I'm sorry I don't have pictures. Maybe next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

snuff was fashionable in the aristocraic circles in Victorian England... i'd say it was a rather antiquated habit, but I don't THINK it's illegal, although I'm sure it's not good for you...

Anonymous said...

from trusty wikipedia...
"Snuff is a type of smokeless tobacco. There are several types, used in different ways, but traditionally it means Dry/European nasal snuff, which is inhaled or "snuffed" through the nose."

Anonymous said...

I'd say the same as Rachel. It is legal etc etc - it was popular around the victorian era, so over 100 years ago. I think you would be hard pushed to find anyone in England who particulary uses it, you can still buy it and people may try it but thats about it. I wouldn't worry though, don't think you need to alert any authorities!! Come to think of it though, will have to try and find some in the UK and you can try it when you come over!!