Thursday, September 25, 2008

Paris and Program! wooo!

Laura and I are off to Paris next weekend. I bought the train tickets this morning and have formulated a list of touristy places to visit. It's more than likely, though, that we will spend the better part of our two days in Paris walking around looking for places to drink coffee. I wonder what the price of coffee is in Paris? Is it more or less expensive than coffee in Switzerland? And I guess I'd better pay for that coffee in Euros, huh?

Today I went to a castle in Thun, they let me out of the kitchen to go run around with the program staff for the day. I would have enjoyed myself more had I not become sick-to-the-point-of-praying-for-mercy on the van ride to Thun.

The Chalet has a 15 passenger van that only holds 9 people because they've retro-fitted it to hold more luggage. That means: they've removed the last two rows of benches to accommodate American-sized baggage. To allow for a few more people to ride along on the days they need to transport people in the van, they've cobbled together a sideways-facing bench with a few seatbelts.

The staff sit on the back bench, experienceing the horribly serpentine Swiss roads in a way no human should ever have to: turning green while looking at the cliffs and valleys swoop past. I didn't vomit, but it was close. Also, the van is a big manual diesel monster. The way the program director drives it is criminal. If I had been lucky enough to have a shoulder belt on the do-it-yourself bench back there I certainly would be suffering from a sudden-force-trauma induced pneumothorax injury.

I excused myself from the van ride home by saying I needed to get back early to make dinner. I took the train and had a nice, pleasant, candy filled and vomit free trip home.

Now I have to stir the Jambalaya.

No comments: