Friday, May 23, 2008

And then the fog cleared.

The Chalet has been blanketed by very thick fog for the past few days. Until yesterday, when around sunset the clouds finally lifted and I saw the mountains for the first time. It's amazing that I was here for three days before I really got to see where I was. And it's Amazing. Take a look.
The Chalet has several buildings. This is the Staff Lodge. I don't live there yet, because there are still spring volunteers taking up space there, but as soon as they hit the road I'll move in there.

This is the Guest Lodge/Reception/Admin building. This is where I'm currently staying. My room is the one in the right hand corner on the 2nd floor. All the summer volunteers are staying in the attic. Like a big slumber party...every night.

I've been having lots of fun with the summer volunteers. After dinner is all cleaned up we usually spend a few hours playing. My second night we played sardines in the mist for several hours, and the next night was Chalet Rules Twister (which is a cut-throat game). I suspect this will change when the visitors show up and everyone is tired from touring around with kiddies all day.

This is the Main Chalet, where my kitchen is. It was built in 1932 and is pretty neat inside. All old wood and doors with iron latches, stuff like that. I've got a little office nook in the kitchen with my own window that I like to lean out of every once in a while. There is also a dorm type room in the attic. I imagine it's a happening place to be in the summer (if you're 12 years old and on the best trip Ever).

These are some of the Summer Volunteers. Working, or something. I don't know, it's my day off. And, because it's my day off, they're running the kitchen today. That's super nice because there's about 5 of them that are writing up my whole kitchen inventory. They're like an army of worker bees. Very efficient and friendly.


This is Kate. She's one of those Spring Volunteers and she's running the kitchen today. She's real neat and I'm sad that we don't overlap here more. I'm not sure why she needs a knife to make cookies though. Perhaps a spatula would be more appropriate for scraping a bowl?


Because it was my day off, I hiked into town. Here's the top of the hill near the Chalet. To get to Adelboden, you have to walk down into Oey, which is in a valley, and then back up the mountain into Adelboden. The vertical rise is about 1000 m on each side. The hike takes me about 35 minutes each way.


Down the hill...into the valley.

Cows with bells. In a few weeks they'll bring all the cows up the road to their summer pastures. It's a big festival. The cows get all dressed up in bows and impossibly big bells (like the size of basketballs). That should be exciting.

The river in the valley, and then up the next mountain to Adelboden.

Adelboden is impossibley cute and every building looks like the
Chalet. This is the visitors center.
I think nearly every town in Switzerland has a clock tower. This is Adelboden's church (I think). The bells are loud here.
And then I walked back to the Chalet. Hope you enjoyed my photo tour of Our Chalet and Adelboden...............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That place looks awesome!