Tuesday, May 20, 2008

World Center, Baby!

I made it to Our Chalet. It's cloudy, cold and rainy. In other words...delightful.
The summer volunteers are currently climbing down every fire escape they can find.
On our way to the train station this morning, Laura and I stopped at the Migros for lunch. We met some Very Friendly Swiss there. An old man named John, aged 84 years, was chatty immediately. He can speak nearly five languages, thinks Chicago is overrun with gangsters like Al Capone, and thinks we're "Very Nice Girls". Then came Nelson who's father is Kenyan and so he hopes Obama wins the election. He's some sort of acquaintance with some sort of Obama's family.
Then I got on the train (upright thankfully). I did manage to make as many connections as was possible on my way to Adelboden. Just trying to get my money's worth. The trains here aren't so hard, but I still need to figure out the difference between the fast trains and the slow trains. Between Bielle and Bern we stopped at every village. There are a lot of villages here. Switzerland is a small but compact country. Sprawl is definitely not a problem here. Towns are discrete entities.
I start my training tomorrow, and after having the turkey roll for dinner tonight, I feel confidant that I can at least cook up to the current standards.

No comments: