Saturday, May 31, 2008

Cow Update


These are the Chalet cows, and that is the farmer who brought them up. In the foreground, you can see my barbeque...The cows can come within about 20 feet of my kitchen's back door and the smell and flies have been awful all week. And my fly zapper is broken. Ben is fixing it I think.

The bells the cows wear signify their productivity. The bigger the bell, the more valuable and productive the cows are. Some of the bells can be baskeball sized and I'm not sure why PETA isn't all over that one. Those poor cows can't be very happy with that much brass hanging from their necks. The bells are also very expensive--the large bells can cost up to 15 thousand francs.

Soon there will be a big cow-marching-up-the-mountain festival. The cows get all decked out in bows and their owners in something equally fancy I'm sure and they all walk up the hill. Woooo.

These are the neighbors' cows. Thankfully, they do not wear bells. They also have lots of baby cows, how cute. There are many other chalets very close to Our Chalet. I was surprised by how many farms there are in our area. This particular neighbor has the traditional house/barn arrangement. The chalet is divided into two halves--one one side is the barn where they do all the milking and store hay and bring their cows in and the other half is the house. Guess you try to keep your bed off the shared wall...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like cows. Cows are pretty. You should milk a cow.