Friday, May 30, 2008

Most boring post ever

Ahh, I left the mountain last night. I took the 9PM bus out of Adelboden and made it to Delemont by 12:18. Not terribly bad. It feels pretty good to be out in the real world. It's also nice to be in a place where the hills aren't nearly vertical.

During the two days I spent in Delemont right after my arrival, I was sure that I would die from all the hill walking I did. Then I got off the bus in Adelboden, looked up the mountain and said "Are you Kidding me? Seriously? I have to walk up that?" I definitely appreciate lower grade hills more now.

This morning we walked down to town. Delemont is not a really exciting place, but they're setting up a large carnival in the Old Town area. There's a house of horrors I'm dying to check out. It's called New York and has lots of bad interpretations of American things painted on it. My favorite is the baseball player wearing a football helmet. I will give a full report on that delightful amusement tomorrow.

We went to the grocery and bought some very swiss items like unsliced bread and chocolate. You can count on everything being at least twice as expensive here as it is in the States. For example, contact solution here costs 15 francs for the store brand. The good news is that everything is also twice as delicious--though I haven't tried the contact solution yet.

Here's a quick roundup of other things Swiss:

Light switches are buttons. I can't understand the road signs (I saw one today that said "Analog taping prohibited" near as I could tell). Trains are on time. There's no cheddar cheese. And postcards all cost at least one franc.

No comments: