Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Stop on the Way

I'm currently located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I got in around 5PM last night. The pets and I had an easy day on the road and I took advantage of the short drive to stop at some really fabulous places in Missouri and Iowa. I will post pictures as soon as I can find my camera cable. (it's somewhere in the car)

I'm staying with Laura's family for the day. Her mother and I are going to do a bit of shopping today. I'm going along to try on clothes for Laura so that her mom can be sure to buy her the right size. At least I can be useful. Also on the list of things to do today: get the car aligned, wash the dog, and get a haircut. My poor mohawk has been neglected for nearly a month and there is nothing so horrendous as a grown out mohawk. I can just tell my mom that I cut it of for Her. But, in my heart I know it's not true.

The dog smells like death. He must have found something extra delicious to roll around in. The dog is also terrified of Laura's step-father and barks and cowers every time he comes within six feet. Scott is a great house guest...

The closer I get to home, the more relaxed I feel. Leaving the palm trees and swamp behind has really done amazing things for my mental health. I've passed through the rolling mountains of Kentucky and Tennessee and am now out on the expansive prairie. Next comes the badlands and finally, home--the Rocky Mountains.

While I'm driving I try to turn my thoughts to the history of the place. I thought about the Civil War while I was in Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky. When I hit St. Louis I began meditating on Lewis and Clark. I think I may even be approximating their route. They came over Lolo pass into Idaho and I don't think I'll be taking the Lolo motorway home, but up 90 is about the same. My goodness things have changed in the past 200 years--thanks a lot Will and Meriwether! Couldn'ta done it without ya.

I promised Laura that I would edit another one of those plant-host-insect-parasatoid papers that she loves so very very much. This one is difficult though, and you lovely readers can thank this most boring blog-post ever to my reluctance to do any real work. The children will be up soon so then I'll have an even better reason to not work....

No comments: