Thursday, May 1, 2008

Last day at work

11:00

I cleaned out the junk-drawer in my desk.  I cancelled my home internet service (45 minutes on the phone, Thanks ATT.)  I have completed my Clearance form (with the exception of turning in my gate card as I'll need that to do laundry on Sunday), and my Leave of Absence form.  And now, I'm studying, clearly.  

I was worried that my lab-mates would ask me a thousand questions about where I'm going, and what I'm doing.  But they haven't.  What a relief!   Doug broke the news to  Cinda by crossing my name off the summer package pick up schedule.  So, when I told Meredith right after that, she took the news so nonchalantly that I could have been asking her to hand me a pen.

Cinda hasn't said a word to me since yesterday morning--which were the first words we'd exchanged since the big Telephone Use and Don't-Force-Me-to-Go-Out-With-YOU-People debacle of mid-March.  So, she must be furious that I didn't tell her first and privately of my plans to leave Miami.

Of course she's upset, I should ask her advice, I should go to her with all my personal questions... because she knows Everything.  Last week I offended her by NOT asking her for quarters.  I didn't know she had them.  One of my personal failings is that I cannot read minds.  Alas, it is a handicap in this world but somehow I soldier on...

1:45 PM

I was walking to the commons to buy myself a turkey sandwich. (Non-vegetarian living sure seems easy) and I ran into Katie.  Luckily she had some extra food and fed me chicken with delicious peanut sauce and rice.  Just a note about the peanut sauce: it contained tomatoes. Tomatoes and peanuts are delicious together, thus, tomato-peanut butter loaf is an acceptable meal. QED.  

I've been trying to study but it's not working out:  it's hard to care about a grade that won't matter for anything.  Even if I was enrolled for fall classes, and not leaving, I still wouldn't care. Grad School Grades count for naught.  And I hear that credits don't transfer.  I could be wrong, but ... it's database systems management--not exactly what I want to do with my life, not even close.

Lucky for me it's a Matinee day for baseball. The Dodgers and the Marlins are tied at 3 in the top of the 7th and the Orioles and the Rays are tied at the bottom of the fifth.  Upton just threw out his shoulder and is out.  Ahh, MLB TV may be the greatest internet service ever.  The calming nature of that tiny screen showing live games and line-scores is unbelievable.  It's therapeutic.  Not as therapeutic as sitting along the third baseline in the upper deck while the sun sets and a gentle breeze brings the smell of freshly cut grass up from the outfield, but pretty close.  


4:52 PM

The Marlins lost, they're now 15  and 13, which puts them 1/2 game behind the Mets! Drat!  Glad I wasn't there at least.  If I didn't have to wait 6 more hours to pick Anna up at the airport I'd just go home and call it a night.  Problem is that there's tons of work to do at home, and I'd rather not do it.  I'm just not sure how much longer I can take it Here though.  Actually, I think I'm done.  I don't care much about my database test.  Certainly not enough to study through all the nervousness in my over-excited state.  

So, goodbye palm trees.  And here's a Scott-The-Dog chaser.  Isn't he pretty? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, what a beautiful, glossy black coat Scott has. Does he use the remote often?

Keith said...

Your pictures, your writing, your general demeanor seems fun. God bles you. I just changed my stated occupation to "transient" and found that with a search string of 25 people, we are part of an elite on blogspot. Come by my site and say hello!