Thursday, May 8, 2008

Hamburg, Iowa and Can you Identify this?

I stopped at the first town in Iowa. Turns out: Genesee, Idaho exists with another name, in a different state. I'm curious about what Popcorn day entails. Perhaps I can drive back down there before I head to Idaho. I'm sure my mom would understand why I need one more day on the road.

That sign says "Welcome to Hamburg, Cornerstone of Iowa. Business District"

I think the business district was composed of a Gentleman's club and a gun store. Ahhhh just like home!

I stopped at the Hamburg Market to use the restroom but they directed me across the street to the City Hall. Displayed prominently in the hallway was a collection of old pop bottles. Relics I'm sure. I almost wanted to stay there it was so homey.






























And though it's unrelated, I don't have enough to say about this next picture to require a separate post. Can any one identify the sort of machine that these tires go on? I saw three different trucks carrying these giant tires. I'm almost scared to imagine the machines these belong to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hamburg Iowa really does have more than a gentelman's club. And I hear that the club is going to be shut down. The owner is up on charges for letting several underage girls drink and dance there. But remember that your always innocent until proven guilty. On mothers day on of the old buildings in town fell down. Just a big hole there now. A new antique mall opening in July of 2008. Popcorn day has parade, flee market. free popcorn, and sometimes rain.