Sunday, May 25, 2008

Kitchen Disasters

There is a learning curve involved with quantity cooking. So far, I've made just about every mistake possible, but not the same one twice--though I haven't been here long enough to say that with much certainty. Yeah, it's been rough. I've made: salty chicken, runny shephards pie, and not enough rice to go around. Tonight is Lasagnae night, hopefully that'll go a bit easier.

I've also learned that the curry paste I use makes awful stains. I brought my dirty shirt in this morning, and I was going to scrub the stains out in the sink. The second I got the shirt wet--the stains turned from sort of a plesant yellow color to bright red. Blood red and spattery. Not a good way to make friends. Woah, luckily I found some bleach and all is well.

That's about how exciting my life is. I cook and then I hang out--last night I sat on the trampoline with some of the other staff 'till nearly 11. They told me they think Americans are stupid and lazy. Humm...hopefully I can show them other wise. I feel like an ambassador--I'm the only American on Senior Staff here at the Chalet.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Hola Kat. Hope the cooking gets easier, Hope your having a blast too.

Anonymous said...

"They told me they think Americans are stupid and lazy."

I take back everything nice I said about Switzerland. In fact, I'm sick of the Swiss.

BlogDog said...

Red is a good color for you. It's ok some dutch guy told me all americans are either stupid or smart, and either fat or skinny. Apparently we have no inbetweens. You better work on them, don't screw it up for the rest of us, don't.

And hooray, I got to your blog!

Anonymous said...

Cooking tips I've learned:
One can always subtract from an overly salted item by adding potatoes - they absorb salt. Secondly, one can soak up too much moisture by adding flour one tablespoon at a time, sifted into the saucey stuff. Adding one tablespoon of white vinegar to the water when cooking rice keeps it white and separates the grains although it won't make the quantity larger. As for "lazy Americans" when I was an ex-pat, the Italians told me that Americans were busy, overworked, money-making entrepreneurs who never knew how to slow down, enjoy good food and have fun! I guess the non-Americans and non-Italians making those comments to you are just jealous. Ce la vie!