Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Open Letter to the State of Georgia

Dear Georgia,

The 150 miles of construction cones were not necessary. I understand that keeping highway workers safe is a priority, but as far as I could tell, the 80 miles of large shiny orange barrels blocking off two whole lanes of traffic were serving no purpose but to slow me down. I did see about a work zone, about a quarter mile long. My flagging spirits were somewhat lifted, I thought perhaps the nonsense with the restricted lanes would be over. It was not, those orange barrels persisted.

I wonder, how much does one of those shiny, distracting, headache inducing barrels cost? I suppose they must cost a few hundred dollars apiece, probably more because there's got to be some government supply to jack up the price. I think that it would be more cost effective to mark off only the areas of highway you're actually working on, with a reasonable buffer--say a few miles? Then, Georgia, when you finish what you're doing in one area, you can clean up your mess and move on. Didn't your mother teach you this?

If you were worried that I would have a hard time finding the edges of the road in the dark, you shouldn't have. I've been doing this for years, go ahead and put those things away next time. Seriously, they slowed me down. I was making good time, I was going to make it all the way to Atlanta. But here I am in Macon, and I blame your cone-nonsense.

Sincerely,
Kat

Agitated Driver

No comments: