Monday, May 19, 2008

Basel, with a long A sound Bay-sill...but Swiss call it: Bahhh-sull.



I decided that I needed to conquer my fear of the train right away. Show that train who's boss and who can't be defeated by a little bit of humiliation. We meant to buy tickets to Bern but were given tickets to Basel. This was probably a good thing. Bern is much further away and I was pretty tired. The train ride went much better this time and I'm nearly over my fear of trains--though tomorrow I'll have to pack up some things and take another long trip down to Adelboden and this time it will involve a bus as well.

We walked around Basel and went to the Natural History Museum. The museum was interesting but was essentially a building full of stuffed animals. Usually I like to take my time in museums and wander around and really get my money's worth. However, all the placards were in German and that significantly speeded up our visit. After the hall of taxidermy we stopped at a small park outside a cathedral and watched people playing bocce ball. If anyone could explain the rules of that game to me I'd be much olbiged. Near as I could tell they were taking as many turns as they felt like, some people took three turns while others only took one. When all the balls were thrown they'd pick them up immediately. I thought they should have counted score, or argued about placement or something. But not in Europe. Everything is so much classier here.

I am very sore, my legs ache and my arms are tender from all my luggage slinging yesterday. I've been doing surprisingly well with the Jet-Lag and am enjoying all the delicious Swiss Chocolate.

No comments: