Monday, June 30, 2008

Update on My Aclimitization

I've been here in Switzerland for six weeks now. I am pleased to report that I am now used to it. It's nice to be comfortable, but I hope I'm not missing some experiences by being desensitized.

When we hiked to Silleren the other day, we stopped and ate a snack by a beautiful mountain stream which was only about 30 feet from the road. If I had been sitting by that stream in Idaho I would have been awestruck, but here in Switzerland it's run-of-the-mill-every-day-average-scenery. I was a little disappointed when I started thinking about the stream that way. I think sometimes that places are more beautiful when they are hard to get to. Nearly every mountain peak, pass, stream, waterfall and glacial lake in the area near the Chalet can be reached by a moderately strenuous day's hike. It's not easy--but it doesn't take weeks of planning either. I try to keep in mind how amazing everything is, and how in the past I wasn't able to look out the window and see a 600 meter waterfall and about a hundred mountains.

Despite all I've just said... Bunderspitz still eludes me.

PS: I can't buy deodorant here. I found something similar to what I buy in the States but it's 21CHF for a travel sized stick.

No comments: