Sunday, August 24, 2008

Luzern, redux

I did not go biking this weekend. Did anyone see that coming? It was raining, I can't help it. Actually, I didn't feel that great either. We went out on Friday morning and made it about 10 very slow kilometers out before we decided that it was going to rain any second and that we had better turn around. The rain-thing was an excuse of course, but we ended up being lucky and getting back to the house 2 minutes before a torrential downpour. I'm quite responsive to dropping barometric pressure it seems. I was awfully dissapointed that there was no biking this weekend, but we made up for it by watching the Whole First Season of BattleStar Galactica. OH my God.

On Saturday we went to Luzern, it was raining and Laura spent nearly the whole day looking at me like this:




It's not her fault: she wasn't feeling well.

We went to the Depot, though I think we would have been better off visiting the Glacier Gardens with it's internationally celebrated Hall of Mirrors. The Depot turned out to be exactly what it claimed to be: a warehouse full of junk. Catalogued junk at least. What I think really happened was this:

Mayor of Luzern: "Oh boy, we have a bunch of junk and someone needs to go through it. Maybe make a little museum out of it?"

Luzern's historian: "I don't have time for this, how about we just keep it all where it is and let people figure it out themselves?"

They gave use a hand-held-scanner that read the barcodes attached to the objects and gave a description. Problem with that is, it doesn't give you any sort of historical context. We got bored with scanning things after about 45 minutes and Laura was hungry so we were getting ready to head out when I discovered that there were self guided tour thingies built into the scanners that gave actual museum like information. So, I guess I'll have to try the Depot again-again.




Then we had lunch, I fed some birds.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kate,

How about a call? Your father and I are feeling very neglected.

Mom