Friday, August 29, 2008

Birthday Eve

The last two days have been exciting. On Wednesday night Jen and I planned a special evening program of fun and games for the vols. We played "Chalet Special Summer Olympics Extravaganza" The events included a Spots On The Floor tournement and the Chalet Quadrathalon. We planned the events at the Alpenrose on Tuesday night. Originally it was meant to be a Pentathalon, but we forgot the 5th event.

The contestants had to give a 30 second Chalet tour. Rachel gave an especially funny one, explaining that boys and girls were not allowed to live in the same valley in the past and so they built the Kanderstag center in the next valley, and that Lord Baden Powell and Lady Baden Powell had to sleep in the separate centers when they visited. This is not true at all, of course, but we are still debating whether they slept in the same bed at the Chalet. Sarah also gave a nice tour in Real Time. "Please take your shoes off. Yes, both shoes. Yes, leaders too. Yes, right out side."

After the 30 second tour, we moved on to Program Packing. The contestants had to run across the room and pack for a day of program. There were appropriate items as well as inappropriate items. Katie packed a bottle of booze and a romance novel. She was subsequently disqualified. How sad. After Program packing we had a spoon throwing competition and wrapped everything up with towel folding.

The points were tallied and the results were as follows: Catherine D, Bronze. Ruth, Silver and Allison, Gold. I will post the pictures of the events and video of the medal ceremony when I return from my Birthday Trip Extravaganza.

Tomorrow I embark on my Grosse Velo-Fahrt. The weather is beautiful and should hold for the weekend. Please don't miss me too much in my absence. I won't be back to update you about my exploits until next Wednesday.

I went in and cashed in my spaghetti-sauce jar of change and came out with over 300 francs, which should finance my food and hostel stays comfortably. My camera is charged up and I've found my sense of adventure (behind the muesli in my cupboard).

Jen and I saw 16 spiders on the way to work this morning. She didn't seem too pleased when I nuzzled Big Mamma. "Spider Nuzzles! Eww" She said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great birthday! I was going to send it to your facebook, but I don't seem to be linked up to you any more.

Tammy

Meredith said...

Happy Birthday Kat! I hope it was great!