Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dingle Way

Fred and I are going to Dingle this summer.

That's what the count down is all about.

We're going to hike the Dingle Peninsula in a counter-clock wise fashion and we're going to spend 7 days doing it. I got the idea from Larry "Baro" Alexander who wrote the Thru Hiker's Eyes books that I like so very very much. Actually, I would like the 'books' if I had read the second one. I've only read the first one, I haven't gotten my hands on a copy of volume II yet, but it exists.

Anyway so the itinerary looks like this:

June 30 arrive in Dublin, drink lots of beer and look at stuff like castles and illumianted manuscripts.
July 2 (Friday) Leave in the morning to Dingle, ride a bus across Ireland to the South west corner where the Dingle sticks out into the sea...Get off the Bus in Tralee and hopefully make it to Camp (it's a place, not a verb)
July 3: Hit the trail towards Cloghane and so on.
July 9: Get off the trail somewhere around Dingle or Annascaul and head to Shannon
July 10: Fly home

The logistics of this trip are tricky because we can only catch certain buses to certain places on certain days. But, I think this will give us enough time to not get stranded on the west side of the peninsula.

I'll be posting more interesting things about Dingle in the future...stay tuned. For now, if you're interested, you can check out the Dingle Way online

No comments: