Friday, April 23, 2010

It Rhymes So It Must Be True

Anna used to write me poems....waaaaaay back in the day she would whip them out for me like nobody's business, no big deal. She doesn't write them for me anymore but they're still pretty funny. Here's an oldie but goodie, inspired by Don Quixote who says "I think it therefore it must be true" a motto by which I live my life...also partly inspired by a certain amount of resentment on Anna's part of my relentless "opinion giving" regarding her school at the time--St. Johns and my perceived superiority for going to a place like...The University of Idaho. Guess it just goes to show that you never really know anything, do you now?

It Rhymes So It Must Be True

I like St. John’s better than Idaho
Because I’m here and not there.
Since the things that I think I thus know
You can try, prove me wrong, if you dare.

So maybe we’re light on hard science!
So maybe I’ve not seen a whale!
I think we can remain in alliance
Against things like wine that’s gone stale.

We both love Ani Difranco.
We hypothetically both get straight A’s.
If I go to a baseball game, you’ll go
And we can recap the plays for ten days.

I wish you would just leave my books alone
And stop making fun of my “grades”
You’ve made your position well known
And I see just how certain you are

That the world probably moves ‘round an axis
Drawn through Genesee, and then through you
With a fish pinned beneath paper stackses
Of modern research, both factual and true.

So I think I’ll just keep enjoying
The classics (that means they’re not new)
And occasionally write you a po-em
Asserting my own certain view!

The End.

No comments: