Friday, April 2, 2010

Oh, but it's so Dirty!

Yesterday KT called me at 2:30 and asked if I wanted to go with her to the fair. "Hey, wanna ditch work and go to the fair" is actually how she put it. Naturally I said yes.

We went and picked up her little sister and her sister's cousin and drove up to the fair--which was like a THOUSAND miles away. Really, it just felt that way because I was so excited. I haven't been to the fair since I was like a freshman in college, I think. And that was the Latah County fair. The Miami Fair is a Big Deal. It runs for like 2 months, instead of 4 days or however long those podunk little county fairs last. Understandably, KT wanted company because fairs aren't terribly grown up affairs.

We got to the fair and went to the petting zoo first. I was trying to talk the kids into going and looking at the sheep and pigs and goats, but they weren't going to go for it. The petting zoo at least let me get my agricultural fix. They had zebus (sacred cattle of India) and some thing called a scottish highlander that looked like some sort of muppet type cow and a bunch of goats and sheep and a ZEBRA! and Kangaroos. Best Petting Zoo EVER. Then we did regular old fair stuff, went on rides, stood in lines. Mostly stood in lines.

Turns out KT is TERRIFIED of fair rides. The kids got her to agree to go on the big swings with all of us. I sat with KT and the kids rode together. We got up to the top and KT about threw the stuffed hippo she was holding for her little sister over the edge in her frantic reach for the edge of the seat. I rescued the hippo and laughed hysterically at her hyperventilating as we swung around. I was surprised by her reaction because she managed to handle the Super Drop pretty well. Or whatever it's called where they tow you up a giant tower and then let you fall back down. I was definitely hyperventilating as we sat at the top on that one. Scary!

I went on a few other rides with the kids--those damn wrist bands are EXPENSIVE, so I bought a few tickets and then ended up stretching them out by not giving the operators as many as the ride really 'cost'. How do you like them apples!!

We went on the Fireball which one of the kids told me that those people got stuck on the other day. That's WHY we went on it, really. It was super fun and scary and didn't get stuck. But, actually it was the Space Roller that got stuck. Damn.

I ate a lot of food that I immediately regretted. I am happy to report though, that the arepas were even better than the ones I had at Calle 8.






Today's Gaga or Ani game:

1. Don't forget my lipstick, I left it in your ashtray

2. people talk about my image like i come in two dimensions like lipstick is a sign of my declining mind

Yesterday I swam a mile and today I rode to work then ran 3 miles.

No comments: