Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Back at the Chalet...


I'm back at Home for the week. I'm getting awfully tired of my tiny room in the Guest Lodge. It would be nice to live in a house with a kitchen, though it's only about a 30 second walk over to the main Chalet. I've gotten soft. I no longer have a commute. I no longer have bills to pay. My job is to make food and to do some cleaning. I have mornings and weekends to myself. Oh, and I live on a mountain in the Alps.


The summer volunteers are all moving into Stockli today. They're pretty excited to get out of their large communal attic. I don't blame them. All 9 of them have been sleeping in the same room for the past two and a half weeks. I was hoping to move into Stockli today also, but for now I'm staying put. I hope this means that I'll be moving to town soon--which means a 40 minute hike up a mountain every morning, but still totally worth it.


In other news:
1. The water at the Chalet is boiling lava hot. If I don't have at least one incident with severe scalding before I leave it will be a miracle--it's surprisingly easy to bump the faucet handle when showering in impossibly small swiss showers.


2. I've sampled the popular Swiss soda, Rivella, which is made mainly of milk serum. I found it delicious. I can't wait to get some more.


3. Lamb is officially off the menu here at the Chalet--after the awful mystery meat dinner night. Seriously, you CANNOT mix coconut milk and wine and expect it to cook into a nice sauce without attention. I didn't write that recipe, just following directions.
I am now accepting suggestions for delicious Chalet Recipes....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this blog is one of my new favorite things to read while Bored at Work. ;) I think you should buy a really large box of Kraft macaroni and cheese for dinner and show them how we eat in America (jk!).

Jeffrey VanWye said...

Tammy says fried rice is easy. I should point out that Glenn does all the cooking and I'm not sure Tammy has ever made it so heed this advice. Just kidding. Tammy and Glenn also have a rice cooker. Tammy says you can mess you dinner as long as you get the dessert right. How many people are you cooking for?