Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Great Hand of Michigan

Well, the weather has finally cleared.
We've got a group of American Girl Scouts here this week. They're interesting because they're
on a Destinations trip, and so they only just met each other a few days ago. (Destinations, which used to be called Wider Ops--I prefer the old name, so from now on, they're the Wider Ops girls). They all apply separately to go on big trips as a group. It's fun for them because they get to meet lots of new people and see new places. Two of the girls from my troop will be heading to Wyoming for one this summer. Pretty exciting. It's something I always wanted to do when I was their age. Though, I suppose I'm doing alright for myself now as far as travel is concerned. Thanks Girl Scouts!

It's nice to have kids at the Chalet. Our first group of guests for the season were all over 50, from England, and called me Cookie. The adults are interesting, but they don't quite stomp up and down the stairs like the kids do.

I made a delicious and vegetable dense Jambalaya last night. (we can get really awesome bell peppers here) I'm always the last one out of the kitchen, so there's not much room by the time I get out but I managed to wedge myself in between a few of them to eat. They picked out the vegetables and we played the "Name-the-state-I'm-trying-to-approximate-with-my-hands" game. Kansas, Nebraska, North and South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Oregon, Iowa, and Arkansas can all be made fairly easily. The challenging ones are Texas, Idaho, Florida, Maryland, Wisconsin, New York and Maine. It's fun to play along at home--now you try!
They're a fun group, and tonight is Spaghetti night so there will be no picking-out-of-things.

This is what my view looked like this morning: even better than yesterday, huh?



































Above: This is Fitzer, it's my favorite mountain because it is Mountain-Shaped And Below: this is the view from the back porch of my kitchen. The picture doesn't show it well, but the mountain was extra pretty last night after dinner.

No comments: