Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Kitchen Olympics



Thanks everyone for the classy suggestions for the Chalet Menu--keep 'em comin'
Last night I made some almost-tasty-but-runny sweet & sour chicken. I was asked several times to replace SOMETHING on the menu with it. Mostly I heard that turkey rolls needed to be replaced. I guess they already assumed that the lamb would never be served again. I suppose when people come up to the kitchen hatch and ask "What Kind of meat is this?" That's a good sign that dinner wasn't quite successful.



Today is Kitchen Deep Clean Day. I should have some help from the summer vols, and since there are no visitors to speak of these days, we'll crank the Abba and rock out to de-greasing.
I'm also in the pre-planning stages for a mid-summer kitchen olympics. So far I've decided that there will be timed as well as team events. First we will time individual speed at cleaning the industrial dishwasher at night. I haven't decided what the qualifying time needs to be, or how points will be awarded. After that I think we'll have some team relays such as: scrubbing and squeegee-ing the floor, taking out the compost, rotating stock in the food cellar. Exciting events like that. We'll also need some more skilled events--like rhythmic tupperware-lid-matching--where you also get points for style.



Again, I'm open for suggestions.


I had breakfast with two Sweedes this morning and this is what they were eating on toast: caviar. I'm open to new things and I tried it. I'd rather just eat a whole smoked fish on a piece of bread.




And finally, because I actually also miss my pets (even though I steadfastly refuse to acknowledge any sort of ownership to THESE animals), here's a Kricket and Ellis Chaser for the day.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More Olympics - our family kitchen fave is spatula badmitton or pingpong depending on the type of birdie you have lying around. At just the right angle, the game can get pretty wild so beware of open pots of boiling water.