Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Karl the Cheese Maker and How My Thumb is Still Attached

Last night I joined Karl the Cheese Maker, Jen and Line for a late dinner party on the back lawn. Karl is exactly what I expected an old Swiss Cheese Maker to look like. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's been in National Geographic at some point. He's got bushy eyebrows, thick rough and dirty hands. He was wearing a bucket hat and an old plaid workshirt.

I am pleased to report that I understood about 35% of the conversation. The part I understood clearly was when Karl said that Americans are fat because they eat too much. I said "Hey!" and Line pointed out that I was in fact American. I'm not sure if he was embarrassed or not, but he did say that the young Swiss were the same way. Regardless, I will still walk his cows up the falls this weekend.

After dinner, Jen and I walked home together. She laughed aloud when I asked "Would you like to read Schnuffi with me?" I said "Hey! I've been trying to figure out how to ask that for a while, don't laugh at me". But she did come over and read the book with me. My own translation was pretty close, I'm awfully proud of myself.

In other news:

I had a terrible night in the kitchen last night. The food was fine but I nearly cut my thumb off. Luckily, my nail was there. I cut clean through the nail--but if I had been a milimeter over I would have cut the tip of my thumb much worse. And I burned myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations - Now you are a REAL chef! Using a knife is kinda like baseball, never take your eye off the .. well you get the picture.