Thursday, June 5, 2008

Deer in German Headlights

Our Chalet is an international center. I am the only American on staff, and about half of the staff don't speak english as a first language. I often feel insecure about the fact that I can't speak more than one language. People think Americans are lazy, stupid, and rednecks...Look who the majority choose to lead the country--I don't blame them. We're just not all that way, and it embarrasses me to imagine what people must think of me when I open my mouth and speak English with my western accent.

I am going to do my best to learn German while I'm here. Immersion is supposed to be the best way to learn a language. Unfortunately it seems like every time I go out, I have this innate reaction to freeze when I don't understand what's being said to me. It's a deer-in-the-headlights feeling, the 'oh gosh am I in trouble I don't understand' sensation that I haven't felt probably since I was 6. It's much easier to throw my hands up and shake my head and look terrified--then they start speaking English to me--than to try to work my my way through the German. But, I'll get better. I've just got a few more things to learn besides:: I am the cook, Can I eat that? and Excuse me please.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, in that case you probably don't want to embarrass yourself by associating with a stupid, lazy (and fat!) redneck who voted for George Bush. So could you please delete my blog from your links?

Thanks.

Loft Offcourse said...

Patrick,

Did I hurt your feelings? I'm sorry. And I can't delete your blog, you've done it already

Humph,
kat.

Loft Offcourse said...

And another thing: it's my blog and I think Bush is a tool.

Anonymous said...

You can delete the name of my blog from your links list.

Loft Offcourse said...

whatever patrick if thats how you want it. way to go.